Saturday, December 11, 2010

Before and After




I needed a birthday gift for my daughter in law. These are knit with hand spun Finn/Montedale and Samoyed dog hair. She likes pink, (and hearts) so I thought I would dye them pale pink. I needed it to be quick and did not want to mix up dyes. Kool-Ade was the choice. I had one package of pink lemonade. That probably would have given me what I wanted, but I was impatient, thinking it would be too light. So.......I opened a package of strawberry, removing the mitts first I sprinkled in a TINY amount. Put the mitts back into the pot and let it simmer until the water was clear. The result was less than spectacular in my opinion because I was aiming for PALE pink. I was disappointed. However, she loved them and the color too.

2 comments:

Jody said...

I would luv to have a pair of fingerless mittens as pretty as those and they must be very warm with the dog fur in them. One of these days I will try dog fur...I don't know who has a dog with fur I would like to spin though :-(
Merry Christmas to you and your family Sandy.

Rosemary said...

Oh my goodness, those are beautiful. You know, I'm soon going to make a pair of socks with samoyed toes for my darling husband. Did you just card the dog in with the sheep? Any words of wisdom?

I love the color, too. I'm sure she loves them as well. Lucky girl!